Monday, February 28, 2011

LIFE...FOOD, MY ADDICTION

It's been a while since I have written anything  thought provoking on my blog.  That is simply because I have been heads down all week in moving our trailer and getting it all set up again.  In the course of this week, I have rediscovered how much I like being outside and moving my body.  The winter is not my favorite time of year.  Don't get me wrong, I love the snow, but the bitter cold and freezing rain is too much for me to venture outside.

So this past winter I hibernated and ate.  I vowed that I would not obsess about dieting this year and focus on staying healthy by moving more.  I am still not going to go crazy and go on a diet.  I am just refocusing my energy on moving and eating the right kinds of food...mainly not eating gluten.

It has been a year since I was diagnosed with Celiac disease.  It was a relief to finally find the root cause of my health issues and address them.  Changing my diet has been hard.  I am really good for a few months and then something happens...usually I meet some really good food along the way.  LOL  I laugh but it's not really that funny.  Having an addiction to anything is not good, but food is so hard.

I love carbs!  It's that simple.  I love noodles, pizza, peanut butter sandwiches, crackers and cheese, any cream based soup...the list goes on. I know that many of these foods have gluten free substitutes....It's still not the same!

I struggle every day to eat healthy foods, but my body still craves wheat!  It's a frustrating food addiction that at times brings me to tears.  I find that I can eat sprouted wheat bread (Ezekial).  This does help.

I have spent a lifetime learning to cook.  I love making bread.  I have had to relearn so many things in the kitchen.  I try to make everything from scratch. I think it taste better.  Have you ever tried to make a flour blend using 5-8 different types of starches and flours?  It's difficult.  I usually end up buying the blends all ready pre-made and they work, but there are so many choices that finding the right one can be expensive.

I have no problem spending money on healthy food.  We try to eat organic as much as possible.  We visit Famers Markets to try and support local farming.  I just hate spending money on these "alternatives" when they are not all equal in taste and performance.

SO, yes I get frustrated with having to eat gluten free.  I miss the foods that I love.   I have found that I can eat small doses of gluten, but this is the problem.  I can't eat just one...as soon as my mouth tastes the flavors I immediately want more...and more...and more.  I am once again trying to recommit myself to swearing off all gluten.

Today I made my family Chicken Divan.  I am not going to spend $4 on one can of cream of chicken soup.  I turned to the internet and found a delicious recipe for homemade cream of chicken soup and they added a gluten version.  It turned out fantastic and I am recommending this basic cream recipe to be used for other types of dishes.  The flavor of the recipe can be enhanced with cheese (Parmesan, sharp cheddar, etc) or with spices (I used curry).

Recipe:

2 cups of milk
2 T corn starch
salt
pepper
garlic salt

*add small diced chicken to make cream of chicken

For the Chicken Divan in my slow cooker:

In order:

1 stalk of broccoli, pre cooked
2 chicken breast, pre cooked

1 batch of recipe above
1 T curry...I add alot more because we like it stronger
1 cup of Miracle Whip
1 T. lemon juice

I top it off with shredded Cheddar cheese.

I will cook it on high for a few hours and then turn it to low until the family is ready for dinner.  We serve this with rice.


I love food and I love cooking.  It will always be a challenge for me to eat gluten free.  The more recipes that I find that I can convert to how I can eat, the easier my eating will become.  It takes times, work, effort and a lot of discipline.  A LOT!!

To some this might sound like a very easy thing to overcome and maybe it is for some.  I know for me it's a daily challenge.  If I don't follow this way of eating I suffer from: hair loss, face acne, severe bloating, terrible gastrointestinal pains, depression, irritability, extreme tiredness.  These are serious symptoms to me that do and have, at times, prevented me from doing lots of things with my family, work and life.

To those that are enduring the same trial, I feel for you.  To those that this is easy, I admire you.  I hope  some day that I will not be so consumed by what I am eating.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment